Sunday 21 October 2012

Books on compatability of Christianity and Evolution?



I wonder if you are able to recommend any books that I, as a Christian, could read that accommodate the position of one that is inclined to consider the veracity of the " theory" of evolution?

I am a retired general practitioner. I have read "Intelligent Design" writings over the years, but find recent books like "Why Evolution is True ",[Oxford University Press] by Jerry A. Coyne much more credible. Yes, he is endorsed by the well known atheist Dawkins, but has written a better book than Dawkins for the layman who is sympathetic to the idea of evolution.

I don't know about you, but I would like to believe that one can be a Darwinist but remain a Christian. I have fundamentalist Christian friends who seem shocked that one can even entertain the idea of evolution and claim to be a Christian.

Have you any advice?

Response:  Certainly one can believe in the scientific theory of Evolution and be a Christian.

Denis Alexander's book Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose? is one of the many excellent books that address this.

No comments:

Post a Comment