Sunday 10 August 2014

I feel I'm losing my faith

I feel I'm losing my faith. It's upsetting, not because when I die I might just cease to be but because I don't feel Him here anymore but I used to all the time. God was undeniable to me, I was confident in my faith and felt his love. How does John and yourself hold your faith, knowing we are mere animals on a small blue ball that is hard to imagine being significant in the vastness of the universe which science keeps uncovering with God?

Don’t worry – this feeling is very common. CS Lewis is very good on it in The Screwtape Letters – if you haven’t read them then you are in for a treat, and if not try and find the bit about “the law of undulation”.
We are, of course, animals, but we are not mere animals. God has made us in His image and given us the unique responsibility and privilege of becoming His sons and daughters. It is precisely faith in God that makes it possible for us to be more than mere animals.
As for the size of the earth – so what? The universe is vastly bigger than the earth and whether it is 10^10 times bigger or 10^20 or 10^200 makes no difference at all. Even in Genesis it was believed that there were about as many stars as there are grains of sand on the earth. God is infinite, we are finite. But we are joined to him by his infinite love – whether we feel it at the moment or not.

Thank you very much to your reply, I really appreciate your time. I never thought of it like that, but what do you think of Steven Hawking's book The Grand Design, is it really possible for the laws of physics alone to create matter and energy and the entire universe?

NO. Clearly equations can’t create the universe. There must be something/someone that “breathes fire into the equations” and causes it to be that case that these equations apply to the real world, and not some other set of equations.

No comments:

Post a Comment