Tuesday 1 January 2013

Views on Thomas Aquinas

I have heard John mention Thomas Aquinas in a NPR interview. I have been researching for more info on John's feelings toward Aquinas' Theology. What can you share with me regarding my interest?

John says: I admire Thomas Aquinas as a great thinker who sought to appeal to both faith and reason in his theological thinking. Of course, he was a man of his time and I do not find all his ideas persuasive. For example, his picture of God as the Creator who influences creatures but is not influenced by them seems to me to be too remote for the God of love and to place too strong an emphasis on divine transcendence over divine immanence. I have been helped by some modern followers of Thomas, particularly Bernard Lonergan in his great but difficult book Insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment